The Canada Media Fund (CMF) monitors industry trends and developments to provide stakeholders with industry-specific information and forward-looking analyses of the evolution of the television and digital media marketplace through CMF Trends online. The website provides:
- Articles written by the CMF Industry and Market Trends team, as well as by collaborators and experts based in Canada and internationally.
- Research reports, including our annual report on trends, providing insight into the challenges facing and opportunities available to Canadian producers and creators.
- Industry data on Canadian media consumption patterns and major global trends with charts, tables and timelines.
- A podcast series, in French and English, featuring leading experts for an in-depth exploration of topics including digital distribution, podcasting, the blockchain, out-of-home virtual reality, youth content and data.
Some highlights from 2018-2019:
- Publication of 85 articles from a team of 19 collaborators and experts based in Canada and internationally.
- Publication of the annual CMF Trends Report and support to 11 research projects with industry partners. Reports on three of those research projects were completed and published in English and French in 2018-2019: Telefilm Canada’s Canadian Audience Report – Focus on linguistic minority communities in Canada and imagineNATIVE’s Pathways to the international market for Indigenous content and On Screen Protocols and Pathways: A media production guide to working with First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities, cultures, concepts and stories. Reports on the remaining eight research projects will be published in 2019-2020.